WHY THIS COURSE
A qualifying student who has achieved this qualification will be able to create and conduct a short-guided experience, based on local natural and cultural resources, that entertains and informs visitors. This qualification will enable the students to be a competent guide operating within a local area. They will also provide quality experiences to tourists and thus strengthen the profession and tourism in general.
Qualification Entry Requirements
Prospective students are encouraged to further confirm the above entry requirements with the College Head before ruling themselves not compliant. Experimental learning may also be considered.
Senior site and/or specialist tourist guide
Regional, provincial, or national tourist guide
Travel agent guide
On completion of this qualification students will be able to:
- Conduct a guided experience within a specific area that entertains and educates tourists by interpreting cultural and natural environments.
- Research, use and plan an itinerary themselves.
- Present authentic, balanced interpretation of general aspects of South African society as well as specific sites and resources.
- Apply procedures to protect the social and cultural integrity of the host communities.
- Supply appropriate alternatives to problems and constraints, considering issues such as the constraints of the facilities, tourist expectations, and the requirements of the host community.
- Apply a range of presentation techniques appropriate to the audience, context and client profile.
- Monitor, reflect on and improve the content of the guided experience, their own performance and what they have learned about themselves.